To raise awareness of Louisiana’s emerging craft beer industry and inspire travel across the state, from New Orleans to Shreveport on the recently established Louisiana Brewery Trail. The perfect complement to the state’s flavorful culinary heritage, the craft beers of Louisiana were relatively unknown as a tourism attraction. We set out to change that.
First, you have to know your target audience. Research told us that we were looking for craft beer drinkers aged 25-54 with a household income upwards of $60,000 living in the state and in surrounding markets—Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio and Memphis.
To target this audience and build awareness of the Louisiana Brewery Trail both locally and nationally, we concepted and created a number of new, interrelated elements around which we built our campaign:
- A new Breweries.LouisianaTravel.com microsite that includes engaging content about each of the state’s eleven breweries and features places to stay and things to do along the new trail
- An engaging video showcasing Louisiana’s brewmasters in action and sharing their love of barley and hops
- A “Brewmaster for a Day” Facebook sweepstakes with a “Brewcation” stay as the prize
- A partnership with UnTappd, a social network for craft beer aficionados, to create two new badges—Bayou Brews and Swamp Hops—that visitors could earn
- A special Brewcation campaign landing page with calls to action for entering the contest and downloading the UnTappd app
- Digital media buys across multiple outlets to support the campaign and drive visitation to Breweries.LouisianaTravel.com/Brewcationaign
The results were remarkable during the six-week campaign. Visits to the microsite jumped by 177% and page views increased 225%. The Louisiana Brewery Trail video we created received more than 27,000 views in the first eight weeks it was available (and that number continues to grow). The Facebook sweepstakes received 16,596 views and 5,976 entries (a 36% completion rate), and new eNewsletter opt-ins exceeded 3,900. Louisiana Travel and Miles: a great pairing.